The Emigration Museum in Gdynia invites to participation in the II International Interdisciplinary Scientific Conference, which will be held on September 21-22, 2017. Applications can be submitted by April 30, 2017.
The Emigration Museum in Gdynia is waiting for applications of researchers for the conference "Poles and Polish Diaspora in North America", which will take place on September 21-22, 2017. The conference will be of interdisciplinary character and, therefore, we invite experts specializing in issues of Poles and Polish communities in North America representing various disciplines, including historians, Americanists, Canadianists, political scientists, sociologists, culture experts, literary scholars, cultural anthropologists, philologists.
During the planned conference, we would like to focus on issues such as the history of emigration from Polish lands to North America; social, legal and political determinants of transatlantic migration; the formation, development and transformations of Polish communities in the US and Canada; the contribution of Poles in the political, social, cultural and scientific life of the US and Canada; cooperation and contacts of the Polish diaspora with Poland and its impact on relations between Poland and the US and Canada; the language and identity of the Polish communities in North America; literary and cultural aspects of the Polish presence in the US and Canada; functioning of the organizations and the Polish media, activities of the Polish clergy on the American continent, the image of Poles in the American and Canadian societies.
We hope that, as it was the case last year, the Emigration Museum in Gdynia will provide the conference participants with an inspiring space conducive to creative and critical exchange of views and the latest research findings.
The conference will be summarized with a monographic reviewed publication issued in a printed form.
APPLICATION FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE CONFERENCE:
The application form shall be sent until 04/30/2017 to the following e-mail address: email@example.com .
Information on the paper acceptance will be sent no later than on 05/15/2017.
Participation in the conference is free of charge.
Conference organizers provide prelectors with:
– one stay on the night of 21 September for participants from Poland; three stays on the nights of 20, 21, 22 September for participants from abroad;
– catering (breakfasts, lunches, coffee breaks and a formal banquet);
– upon having obtained a positive review, print of the text in a post-conference publication.
NOTE: The number of participants is limited. The final selection of those qualified
to participate in the conference will be made by the Scientific Committee of the conference on the basis of the submitted abstracts.
–up to 30 April 2017 – receiving applications
–up to 15 May 2017 – confirmation of qualification to participate
–21-22 September 2017 – conference in the Emigration Museum in Gdynia
–up to 15 November 2017 – deadline for submittal of texts for publication
– Prof. Adam Walaszek, Ph.D. – Institute of American Studies and Polish Diaspora Studies, Jagiellonian University (chairperson),
– Prof. PU, Katarzyna Jerzak, Ph.D. – Institute of Modern Languages, Pomeranian University in Słupsk,
– Magdalena Lesińska, Ph.D. – Centre for Migration Research, University of Warsaw,
– Prof. Bożena Leven - The College of New Jersey, director of The Polish Institute of Arts & Sciences of America,
– Anna Mazurkiewicz, Ph.D. – Institute of History of the University of Gdańsk, president of the Polish American Historical Association,
– Prof. Anna Reczyńska, Ph.D. - Institute of American Studies and Polish Diaspora Studies, Jagiellonian University.
– Sebastian Tyrakowski,
– Rafał Raczyński, Ph.D. (conference coordinator),
– Katarzyna Morawska Ph.D.
Committee for Migration Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences
The Polish Institute of Arts & Sciences of America
Polish American Historical Association
Polish Association for Canadian Studies